The practical use of numbering in any 'source' file is that ISPF maintains
level numbers in columns 79 - 80, making it easy to find recent updates.
No sequence numbers, no way to know what changed in (more or less) what
order. That being said,

1. There is absolutely no reason to allow NUM ON or PACK ON in a data
file. Numbers/packing just corrupt the data.

2. Anyone who casually edits a data file in ISPF deserves a spell in the
woodshed.

3. If it's the FTP job itself that fails, the simplest solution is to end
*every* FTP command line with a semicolon ;  If you do that, line numbers
in the job stream will be no problem and serve the purpose in #1.

4. There is no simple way to enforce any particular ISPF edit profile
values. Even if you provide a default, it can be overridden by the user.

5. In case it becomes necessary to edit a data file, *begin* the session
with this sequence of commands:

  -- PACK OFF (really necessary?)
  -- NUM OFF
  -- CAPS OFF
  -- PROF LOCK (prevents accidental corruptive actions)

6. If something still goes wrong, it's back to the woodshed.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
SCE Infrastructure Technology Services