I'm going to re-engineer our ACS routines. They are a mess. But I'm curious
about the "best" way. I've narrowed it down to two techniques. The simpliest,
to me, is to just use a series of IF statements where the THEN portion ends
with an EXIT to terminate the ACS routine. The more complicated, but perhaps
more efficient, way is to use nested SWITCH and IF statements. I like the
straight IF simply because I think it will be easier to understand. And I don't
mean nested IFs. I mean something like:

IF cond1 AND cond2 AND cond3 THEN DO
    EXIT
END
IF cond1 AND cond2 THEN DO
   EXIT
END
IF cond1 THEN DO
   EXIT
END

instead of:

IF cond1 THEN DO
    IF cond2 THEN DO
        IF cond3 THEN DO
        END
        ELSE DO
       END /* OF ELSE */
   END /* OF IF cond2 */
   ELSE DO /* OF IF cond1 */
END /* OF IF cond 1 */

Of course my "series of simple IFs" philosophy will result in more code being
written and executed. I just have a "gut feel" that it will be easier to
understand and maintain. I may relent a bit if I need to do a simple set of IFs
within a DO. Perhaps it would be "no nested DO groups". Eg:

IF cond1 AND cond2 THEN DO
    IF cond3 THEN SET ..
    IF cond4 THEN SET ...
    IF cond5 THEN SET ...
    IF cond6 THEN SET ...
    EXIT
END

I really want it to be simple and easy to understand and maintain. Not like my
Perl and APL code! <grin>

John McKown
Systems Engineer IV
IT