On 20/04/2011 12:14 PM, Sam Siegel wrote:
On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 8:37 PM, Ed Gould<ps2...@yahoo.com>  wrote:

http://www.networkworld.com/supp/2011//041811-windows-7-crashes.html

This article is a "How to" for taking dumps and other debugging activity on
windows machine.
I do not know if I want to laugh or cry.

I'm not fan of MS ... but just put yourself in a Windows Admin's shoes when
reading an article in a Mainframe oriented magazine on how to install,
configure and use IPCS to shoot a JES failure dump.  (I'm not saying JES is
prone to errors.  I'm using it as an example because they are talking about
shooting a driver dump on the windows machine.  So it is not a simple
problem state application failure.)

I'm guessing they would probably have a similar reaction to what you had.

I didn't used to be a fan of MS but windows has got a whole lot better since the old BSOD days. I run Ubuntu and different Linux systems at home but use windows at work. It's ok, other than the malware!

The article scrapes the surface. It mentions the Windows SDK which has excellent diagnosis tools which can be used to diagnose any user/kernel space crashes. Unfortunately, most Windows admin's don't know how to diagnose a dump. In fact, a lot of windows developers don't know how to diagnose a dump.
However, there are of lots of windows professionals that do!

Some of the free tools for windows are superb. The free sysinternals suite is an example of a top developer who knows the internals of windows. I don't often code windows programs, but when I do there is great tool chain available for free. How many free diagnosis tools other than IPCS are available for z/OS?

Ed