-- snip --
There was a UPS problem, it registered(?) anomaly in the electricity and
itself and cut the electricity on the site (that was my understanding). I
came later in and had to do only with the problems on the mainframe side.
The simplex devices (that is, not mirrored) were not critical for the
production (the applications could go on with the half of the capacity).
The
only problem was that applications hanged as result of these allocations.
Luckily, it happened in the night, and as the electricity came, we had the
access to all the volumes again - no problems. Well, as Ed Finnell wrote:
"when the subsystem gets IML'd (takes forever under normal
circumstances)".
Normally, it is a primary GDPS site for one production sysplex, but at the
time that was our secondary site, so we lost only the systems running
there.
-- snip --

I've lost track here! You're running GDPS (I assume with PPRC and
Hyperswap), and you lost power to your secondary site. I assume that those
devices were also the secondary Duplex devices.

Is it possible that you were experiencing a Long Busy situation in your
production site? (admittedly - very long!)

John