Greetings all. Just wanted to give folks a heads up on an issue we
encountered last week. We are converting HFS's to zFS's and came across an
issue where TCPIP's Pagent is unable to use sysplex aware rw mode zfs's. IBM
says it was also a timing issue (at IPL time) but I suspect it may occur any
time TCPIP bounces. What happened to us is that the IPSEC pagent file was
not read, leading to use of the IBM Default IPSEC, which is to deny all. To
further complicate things, we were using a shared parm member and when it
was updated to diagnose this, 2.4 hours later production picked up the
member updates. Evidently there is an automatic 2.4 hour update of the
policies, which is the default in pagent. Our IP Guy was unaware of this,
and I wanted to let everyone else know because it seems to be quite
different than most other parmlib members we are used to. (Update only when
started or a command is issued).

The zfs admin manual p12 mentions two areas where sysplex aware rw zfs's are
unable to be used, SMB server export and HTTP server Fast Response Cache
accelerator, but not the pagent issue. (I'd like to see that changed).

The deep background is, pagent uses an API
called register file interest (BPX1IOC using the Iocc#RegFileInt
subcommand). This API cannot support zFS sysplex-aware read-write file systems.

The error in pagent was fairly good, it's just that it was buried deep in
the pagent log in USS, not on the syslog.

errno2 was 11800631, which says:
| Operation not supported. The following occurred:

| Command _IOCC_REGFILEINT was used and fildes (w_ioctl) or
| pathname (__w_pioctl) refers to a file residing in a R/W file
| system that is shared across a sysplex with zFS, or is accessed
| through an NFS Client. In these cases, the file is able to be
| changed on a remote system without the local system being aware.
| Because the program would not receive notification, this
| operation is rejected.

| Use __errno2() to obtain more diagnostic information.

the errno2 indicates:

JrRemoteRFI: The file specified with Iocc#RegFileInt is in a file system
that can be changed without notice.

Action: Files that reside in a R/W sysplex aware zFS file system or that
reside in an NFS Client file system can be changed on a remote system
without this system knowing. For the zFS case, the file could be moved
into an HFS file system or into a Read-Only zFS file system.

The only noticeable error on the syslog was:
EZZ8052I OMPROUTE SEND TO 224.0.0.5 BLOCKED BY TCPIP

Hope this helps someone!
Mary Anne