Dale

I do enjoy literary references.

It's not always certain that others do. For example, it's not completely clear
that Art Gutowski appreciates that the smell of a rose is sweet - although his
remote smell-detection technology could make him a fortune! Pity it doesn't
handle coffee![1]

There is a rebuttal from HD as we can obviously now call him. There's no point
using his post as a handle for my reply since I almost certain he doesn't read
my posts - nor those of certain others and it was only a very rash response to
one of those that got this whole band-wagon rolling again.[2]

To avoid any need to try to deal with this so-called rebuttal, the reason his
response is wrong in essence is covered by the following two references which
you may have missed if you have just jumped into these threads:

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/globalization/terminology/u.html#x2042481

http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0907&L=ibm-
main&T=0&F=&S=&P=198809

Unfortunately, "IBM" encompasses many "cats" and this gives encouragement
to the recusants and recalcitrants.

His "evolution of terminology" - perhaps to his great ire - which may be the
cause of the stubbornness - fails to take account of the persistence -
even "once removed" - of the function which prevents his advocated use
being legacy-free, the function originating as it does within a product
intimately tied to SNA, a protocol suite at which he would probably prefer
really to be throwing eggs rather that being one - and not a particularly good
one!

I'm sorry to disagree (!) but I believe he can be understood quite well.

-

[1] Look out for an investment opportunity!

http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1105&L=ibm-
main&T=0&F=&S=&P=36559

[2] For those who want to discover how this whole sorry bigot-ridden saga
got started.

http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1105&L=ibm-
main&T=0&F=&S=&P=1371
http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1105&L=ibm-