>I am in a sub-tasking environment and I am using specific tasks to do
>I/O. For the most part this is working well but when I cancel the
>address space the system shuts down these I/O tasks and my ESTAE
>routine needs them. Does anyone have a way to keep the system from
>shutting down the subtasks until after my estae routine completes?

It is possible that some of the replies missed the boat here.

It is true that an ESTAE-type recovery routine will get control during
cancel only if it was created with TERM=YES.

What is not clear is what the OP  specifically meant by "needs them" and
by "shutting down".

Here is what happens in all cancel cases, and there is no way to bypass
this.

- RTM sets all of the subtasks non-dispatchable
- (Assuming it is TERM=YES) ESTAE-type recovery of jobstep program
  task gets control
- (Assuming that that recovery did not detach subtasks) RTM detaches
  subtasks, effectively in the reverse order from which they were
  attached
- As each subtask is detached, its TERM=YES Estae-type recovery
  receives control
- Task term resource managers run one task at a time, effectviely in
  the same order of detach, with the jobstep's resource managers
  running last

So if by "shut down" was meant "make non-dispatchable", there is no way to
stop that. The subtasks still exist at that point; they do not terminate
until later.

If the subtask needs to "do something", its only opportunity is within its
TERM=YES recovery during the termination sequence described above. A
dependency on anything else is an error.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design