> I found this to be a duplicate range - one VTS - one VE.
What do you mean by this? I could understand duplicate range if you
have more than one VE, ie same range inserted into each of 2 VEs...

> I was able to run jobs that put them all in Error Category.
This could be your problem, you need them in scratch (or insert) category.

>From the fine manual..

8.6.2 Ejecting logical volumes
Logical volumes are not physical entities that can be individually
removed from the library.
They reside on stacked volumes with many other logical volumes.
Because of the permanent nature of the EJECT, the TS7700
Virtualization Engine only allows
you to EJECT a logical volume that is in either the INSERT or SCRATCH
(defined with
fast-ready attribute) categories. If a logical volume is in any other
status, the EJECT fails. So,
if we eject a scratch volume and later we need to recover the data, it
will not be possible to do
that action, so keep that in mind before you eject logical volumes.

Note: This fact has proven to be cumbersome for volumes that happen to be in the
ERROR category (000E). An easy way to eject such volumes is to use
ISMF screens to set
these volumes to the PRIVATE status. The volume status is propagated
to DFSMSrmm.
You can use DFSMSrmm to subsequently assign the volume to the Pending Release
status, and the next RMM HSKP run will return it to a SCRATCH status,
allowing you to
eject it.