From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Chris Mason
Sent: 27 May 2011 15:02
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Problem with resolving own host name

Robin

I see you have not had a response to this.

Please be aware that the greatest concentration of IP-based expertise is
in
IBMTCP-L:

For IBMTCP-L subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO IBMTCP-L

> Turning on the resolver trace shows the host name getting resolved
correctly, it just doesn't reach the application.

> We are using SAS/C R750 compiler and runtime.

Given that the resolver trace is as expected, it looks like a problem at
the
level of the API. What do SAS "C R370" say the problem might be?

> We have an application on z/OS 1.11 that reads in its unqualified host
name
from a config member

Incidentally, just to be clear, this "unqualified host name from a
config
member" is presumably a gethostname() call so that the string returned
is the
typically single token corresponding to what is specified in the
generically
named TCPIP.DATA data set HOSTNAME parameter, default the VMCF
parameter name or, failing that, the MVS system name.

Chris Mason

On Thu, 26 May 2011 17:00:32 +0100, Robin Atwood
<robin.atw...@microfocus.com> wrote:

>We have an application on z/OS 1.11 that reads in its unqualified host
>name from a config member and resolves it via an external DNS server by
>calling "gethostbyname()". This works as expected if the TCPIP.DATA
>config contains a "DOMAINORIGIN" statement. If we change the
>DOMAINORIGIN to a "SEARCH" statement, specifying our domain name first
>in the list, gethostbyname returns null. This was first reported by a
>customer and I can it duplicate it here. Turning on the resolver trace
>shows the host name getting resolved correctly, it just doesn't reach
>the application. Fully qualifying the host name in the config member
>gives the right result. We are using SAS/C R750 compiler and runtime.
>
>TIA
>--
>Robin Atwood
This message has been scanned by MailController - portal1.mailcontroller.co.uk