-------------------------------------------<snip>-------------------------------------
Ed Gould wrote:

________________________________
From: Rick Fochtman <rfocht...@ync.net>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Thu, May 26, 2011 1:53:50 PM
Subject: Re: z/OS SYSLOG to UNIX syslog daemon?

-------------------------<snip>------------------------------
Ahhh! The memorable Mass Storage System. Pluck, shuck, and play.

ITYM data cell, AKA noodle picker (2321). The MSS used cartridges.

-------------------------------<unsnip>-----------------------------------
Rumor had it at one time: the MSS cartridges contained all the left-over tape from the 2321 strips. Seems that the tape was over-stocked 'cuz the 2321 never took off like someone hoped it would.

(Never mind that a random seek test from OLTs would "dance" it all around the computer room floor!) :-)

Rick

Rick:
I assume you meant that as a joke. The tape that was inside a 3850 cartridge was considerably longer than a 2321 (my memory of the 2321 is slim but IIRC the "tape" was about 15 inches. The tape inside a 3850 data cartridge was at least 25 feet but could have been 75' or so. If you ever saw the insides of an operting MSS the tape "station" was zig-zag (IIRC) and it wen back and forth at least twice each distance was about 3 feet (total 12 ft?). Each cartridge was 1/2 of a 3330-1 (NOT-11) .

Ed
No joke. tape was supposedly purchased in 10,000' reels and cut to the appropriate length in the facility that manufactured 3850 cartridges.

I have one of those cartridges, but I've neer bothered to try and measure the tape length.

Rick