From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Staller, Allan
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2011 1:25 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Mainframe C Link Step Error - using pthread (POSIX)

The IEW2456E says module not in SYSLIB/SYSLIN.

I checked the C and LE libraries and could not find PTHREAD@ (lots of refs in
the COMPILER/RUN TIME LIB docs).

This can most likely be fixed in one of 2 ways depending on what is desired.

If you really want  PTHREAD@ hard-linked in you LMOD, I would suggest  using
the pre-linker to see if this resolves the issue. (actually the pre-linker
might be needed in either case. Not sure.)

If you don't want PTHREAD hard-linked, then add NCAL to  LPARM=. This will
force a dynamic call to PTHREAD@. If PTHREAD still cannot be found, you will
get an execution error (S0C4, S0C1) which will show up as a U4038/9 error and
an LE dump.

I presume you are familiar with the trade-offs between hard-linking and
dynamically calling a module.

HTH,

<snip>
 000077 //LKED   EXEC PGM=HEWL,COND=(4,LT,COMPILE),
 000078 //    REGION=&LREGSIZ,PARM='&LPARM'
 000079 //SYSLIB   DD  DSNAME=TCPIP.SEZACMTX,DISP=SHR
 000080 //         DD  DSNAME=&LIBPRFX..SCEELKED,DISP=SHR
 000081 //SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
 000082 //SYSLIN   DD  DSNAME=*.COMPILE.SYSLIN,DISP=(OLD,DELETE)
 000083 //         DD  DDNAME=SYSIN
 000084 //SYSLMOD  DD  DSNAME=&OUTFILE
 000085 //SYSUT1   DD  UNIT=&TUNIT.,SPACE=&TSPACE.
 000086 //SYSIN    DD  DUMMY
 <snipped>
>We are receiving an 8 on our linking of a C module on the mainframe (z/os 1.7)
>
>The error is:  IEW2456E 9207 SYMBOL PTHREAD@ UNRESOLVED.
>
>Does a library need to be included in our link's syslib?
</snip>