Martin, all

I am pleased to hear that IBM is embracing social networks including
Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter.  Companies that want to connect with their
customers and attract bright young college grads need to get onboard.
College grads today assume everyone is on Facebook.  When asked they will
tell you that it is better than email because it supports multiple channels of
communication with multi-media including not only text but also pictures,
video, sound, etc.

I joined Facebook in 2009 at the request of my daughters.  It is a great way
to get and stay in touch with family, friends, neighbors, work associates,
customers, etc.  All you need to give Facebook is an email to verify plus a
password.  You can change settings to turn off as much of the email
notifications as you want.  I get a lot more email scam posts per week than I
do Facebook scam posts.  You can choose how much you want to share and
with whom you share it.  I usally update my own status only once a week or
so, I share events I think other friends and associates might be interested
like
a new www.z390.org release or Rotary or family event.  I scan wall postings
from friends once a day and make a few comments if appropriate, and that is
part of the magic of Facebook where you get to know friends better.  At least
600 million people think so.  You can find me here:

http://www.facebook.com/don.higgins

This week I returned from Rotary International convention in New Orleans
where one of the highlights was a speech by Bill Gates on the eradication of
polio.  Bill has made that the number one priority of his foundation and has
contributed over $350 million dollars to it.  Rotary has contribled over a
billion
dollars and we are now down to a few hundred remaining cases on only 4
countries in the world.  Rotary and its 1.2 million business leaders have
adopted social networks and a useful tool for building friendships and
promoting service above self.  You can find more on Bill Gates talk here:

www.rotary.org/en/MediaAndNews/News/Pages/110524_IC11_plenthree.aspx

And you can find over 120,000 fans of Rotary International here on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/rotary

Don Higgins
d...@higgins.net