Hello, All,

Our HSM BCDS is over 2.7GB and due to shortages of Mod-9 DASD, we converted our
BCDS to a multi-cluster VSAM dataset, following recommendations in the
Implementation and Customization guide. Now that we have some Mod-9s, I want to
combine the multi-cluster back into a single VSAM BCDS.

Still looking at the Customization and Implementation guide, (Chapter 3), I see
under Changing the Number of Clusters, you can use the same method to reduce
the number of clusters. However, the syntax provided leaves questions.
According to the book, the following syntax will split a CDS as we have done
but I can’t see how this will combine them back into one. Here is the syntax
from the book:
//STEP2 EXEC PGM=IDCAMS,REGION=512K
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=A
//SYSUDUMP DD SYSOUT=A
//SYSIN DD *
  REPRO INDATASET(DFHSM.BCDS) OUTDATASET(DFHSM.BCDS1) -
     FROMKEY(X’00’) TOKEY(MIDDLE.KEY1)
  REPRO INDATASET(DFHSM.BCDS) OUTDATASET(DFHSM.BCDS2) -
     FROMKEY(MIDDLE.KEY2) TOKEY(X’FF’)

I see no syntax for providing multiple INDATASET names for the same OUTDATASET
and question whether you can specify multiple REPRO commands for the same
OUTDATASET name.

Does anyone know the method for recombining a multi-cluster BCDS?

-David

David G. Schlecht | Information Technology Professional | DoIT Facility
State of Nevada | Department of Information Technology
T:(775)684-4328 | F: (775) 684‐4324 | E:dschle...@doit.nv.gov

This communication, including any attachments, may contain confidential
information and is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. Any review, dissemination or copying of this communication by anyone
other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all
copies of the original message.