I can't quantify, but I can supply empirical evidence.

In my last job we brought up DB2 V8 under z/OS 1.4 (running in 64-bit mode)
and it was really slow compared to V7.

The reason is pretty simple - the FLEX emulation has to perform over twice
as many instructions to simulate a 64-bit operation as the corresponding 31
bit (or 32 bit, thinking register arithmetic) operation.  Remember, current
releases of FLEX and associated hardware are 32-bit machines.  (I have heard
rumors that FLEX has been compiled and tested on 64-bit hardware, but
nothing has been released to The Real WorldT.)

Off the top of my head, I would expect at least a 50% reduction in
throughput, and probably even more, in 64-bit mode.

I think this performance issue is a big reason why IBM has not allowed
operating systems that require 64-bit architecture to be licensed to FLEX
systems for commercial customers.  (It is licensed to PWD members.)

This also has put small z/OS and z/VM operations into a bind - no place to
grow except to higher-priced hardware if they want to go beyond z/OS 1.4
(and z/VM 4.4, I think).  Hopefully IBM will take (and is taking) steps to
help these customers and that someday, in the near future, something will be
announced.

Later,
Ray