On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 17:31:52 -0500, Doug Henry <doug_he...@usbank.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Jun 2011 14:07:21 -0700, Edward Jaffe
><edja...@phoenixsoftware.com> wrote:
>
>>On 6/16/2011 1:47 PM, Patrick Loftus wrote:
>>> I HIGHLY recommend setting romount_recovery=on as per the following
>link:
>>> http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v1r10/index.jsp?
>topic=/com.ibm.zos.r10.e0za100/dfsmroa.htm
>>
>>Agreed. Of course, this should be the default. :-(
>>
>This is probably a misunderstanding on my part but why would you have a zfs
>mounted read/write and after a failure mount it read only ?

You may have had it mounted read/write, but then set it to be mounted
read only at IPL via BPXPRMxx.

I first ran into this problem when after I migrated to zFS and cloned (logical
copy) my SMP/E controlled root (mounted r/w) with FDRCOPY.  I thought the
HFS=QUIESCE parm applied to zFS and it didn't.  It worked most
of the time, but one time I guess all the buffers weren't flushed and
when I IPLed from the cloned file system the mount failed.  Luckily I found
out in a sandbox first.

I then changed my cloning procedures to add a specific zfsadm quiesce
prior to the FDRCOPY of the "sysres" file systems (z/OS root and
other product roots) - and of course an unquiesce  after the copy
step.  Even though  probably never need this parm for the MVS root,
I specify it because there are other groups (CICS, MQ, DB2, WebSphere)
that request my team to add R/O file systems to BPXPRMxx and I know
they don't always quiesce SMP/E controlled roots before they copy them
for use in production.

BTW, DFDSS does the quiesce automatically (for logical copy), but FDR doesn't
nor does the HFS=QUIESCE parm work for zFS (see past posts of mine in
the archives about this).

Mark
mailto:m...@mzelden.com