Hal Merritt wrote:
The more I think about this, the more I think less is better.
Given the amount of time to fully understand the situation, find the
procedure (which has never been tested), get a management buy in to pull
the trigger, thoughtfully issue the correct commands in the correct
sequence (watching for and reacting to unexpected results).... hmmm just
ran out of time and the lights are out. No flashlight? Gee. Perhaps you
should have taken a few minutes to find one that is working.

Emergency procedures are located in separate (RED) binder, clearly visible on the shelf. These are more available than live vest in an aircraft. Procedures *ARE* tested. Especially such like that (this wasn't, because it's under construction). Procedure results (DB2 broken or not) will be tested as well. Regarding to the light: there is "evacuation light", battery operated. It lasts for approx. half hour. "Normal" light is UPS-supplied, procedure does not mention to switch it off, or even reduce (the effect is not worth consumed time). Besides, operators have flashlights (torch?). I *know* the situation, when in case of total power outage the only light source was mobile phone, even no ligther.

Perhaps it would be better to see to the safety of the personnel and let
the software do what it will.

People safety is first, it is not debatable. In case of *human* emergency, the only procedure is to escape, optionally trying to help others. Then call 911 (we have another numbers).

I would wonder if the potential for damage is greater if I were hacking
away on the console when the lights finally went out.

That's why the procedure have to be *SIMPLE*. No checking, no decision, no analysis.

However I'm still not sure, what's better - do something like STOP DB2,MODE(FORCE) or do nothing.
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland