Mary

I've had another look at this and I see I missed something that is possibly
important about what you said.

> We have set up SNMP on the HMC with community names and IP addresses.

What this is all about is allowing *access* for SNMP *requests*, GET,
GETNEXT and SET, to the MIB managed by the SNMP agent in the HMC IP
node so that *solicited* information can be returned to the SNMP manager. It
does nothing for TRAPs, *unsolicited* information passed to conceptually an
SNMP manager, which is what you appear to want.

Since (a) I know almost nothing about the HMC, not being a "coalface" worker
like most of the denizens of the list, and (b) I have no idea what your level
of
skill is regarding configuring IP nodes, let alone IP nodes performing the role
of
an SNMP agent on one side, the HMC, and SNMP managers on the other side,
whatever this "automation point" is, I must assume the worst, as it were.

The first thing you need to do is make sure that the HMC node is properly
configured as an IP node. When I was having to set
up "workstations"/"servers" for hands-on education purposes which I had to do
for a dozen or so machines prior to every class, there were always 5 - the
number of fingers on a hand! - elements to ensure were configured. It was
particularly important that they were "ticked off" since this dated back to the
days when OS/2 PCs had to be configured with line commands!

- The node itself - (1) a name
- The interface to the LAN - (2) an IP address and (3) a mask which
when "anded" with the IP address defined an address range which should
apply to the IP addresses of each interface connected to the same LAN, aka,
the *subnet* mask, which enables the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) and
routing generally to operate correctly
- Routing - (4) the IP address of the "adjacent" router interface which allows
access to IP nodes other than those with interfaces directly connected to the
same LAN
- Name/address translation - (5) the IP address - often two for backup - of a
server node which can translate names to IP addresses and IP addresses to
names

If you can PING from the platform supporting the "automation point server" to
the HMC IP address, you're making progress.

You've either done the above or you can ensure it is done and then you can
proceed to configuring the SNMP agent in the HMC.

This is documented in Chapter 6 of S/390 Application Programming Interfaces,
not a name that you would immediately associate with the HMC - which may
be why it doesn't feature on the HMC "bookshelf".

I checked with my notes on what is needed in order to set up a basic SNMP
agent - and SNMP manager - from long atrophied presentation on "TCP/IP for
MVS". It should, like the basic IP node configuration above, ensure that the
required parameters are covered.

In support of authorising SNMP requests, GET, GETNEXT and SET, it is
necessary to specify one or more community names and one or more
associated sets of IP addresses - and, with some implementations, object
identifier ranges within the MIB and whether, in addition to the "get"-type
requests, SET requests are permitted - unless the default "public" for access
of any sort from any IP address is accepted. It's probably best not to specify
any complicated limitations here until you are sure the rest of the
configuration is working.

I expect this is what you meant by "community names and IP addresses".

In order to provide a port to which SNMP requests can be sent, a port number
must be specified unless the default 161, the designated "well-known" port for
this function, is acceptable, which it nearly always will be.

Depending in detail on the implementation, certain MIB variables in the "sys"
group should be specified. I see that, in the case of the HMC, these are
sysDescription, sysContact, sysName and sysLocation.

Finally, there needs to be some specification of the destination of TRAPs -
which I guess is what this thread is all about. In my last post I mentioned
that
this "specification of the destination of TRAPs" in the case of the HMC is
the "Event notification information" box. While the actual IP addresses can be
specified here, note that the port number used cannot be changed and is 162,
the designated "well-known" port for this function.

I also know nothing about this "automation point server" but it will not
receive
any TRAPs unless whatever the platform for the product is has some
application using the API of the IP logic which "opens" port 162 to receive IP
packets. Whether the TRAPs use UDP or TCP transport is not specified in the
HMC manual. Traditionally - rather obviously given the nature of
the "application" - it is UDP.

I see access to the CA documentation is blocked and requires - as one
contributor in this list rather aptly put it - that you promise them your first-
born. No doubt this explains why you need someone who has actually set up
CA "automation point" since there's just about no chance you can get help
from people who simply fancy themselves as able to extract gold from the
usual dross found in non-IBM manuals.

Chris Mason