I am considering trying to write a program on z/OS which can read a
NETDATA file and write a tar file. NETDATA is the output format for the
TSO TRANSMIT/XMIT and CMS SENDFILE commands. The program would convert
from EBCDIC (CP037?) to ASCII (ISO8859-1), with UNIX LF line endings.
The output would convert z/OS dataset names to lower case and convert
the CMS file name to fn.ft.fm . I don't think I could handle z/OS PDSes
or CMS MACLIBs. More thought is needed. Perhaps they could be a tar
within a tar. I don't plan on using any compression or supporting zip
files.

Does anybody else think this would be useful? The language would likely
be HLASM or maybe Java. Java is more portable.

If I get it working for a TSO generated file, I'll need someone to send
me a CMS file. I don't have access to z/VM at work.

--
John McKown
Maranatha! <><