On Tue, 5 Jul 2011 17:27:32 +0300, Binyamin Dissen wrote:

>:>So what is the name for the 2G to 4G range of storage? Ok, you guys
>:>can go ahead and fight it out. Me? I'm just going to call it "above
>:>the mini bar".

I vote for "within the bar".

>There would be the need for special page tables to execute code in that area.

Not very special.  The 2 GiB thickness of the bar is a product of
the fertile imagination of z/OS.  Other OSes routinely permit use
of storage within that range, and routinely support execution above
2GiB and above 4 GiB.

>Is there now support for unlocked code above the bar? Though that Z spews if
>the interrupted PSW is there.

Again, not the hardware, but a construct of z/OS which scrunches the
PSW to 64 bits, discarding the upper 32 bits of the program address.
It was explained here lately that if that address was 4GiB or above,
the z/OS interrupt handler (not the hardware; not every OS) sets the
low order bit to 1, causing a specification exception on return from
the interrupt.

-- gil