>Why not simply quiesce it?  This is readily available from SDSF.

In short, RQ does not seem to stop DDF threads from consuming
resources.  At least in my quick test here.

To be honest, I think I'd never tried it because I didn't have a test case
to try it on in my sandbox and I'd only try that in production for the first
time if something was really broken.  But a few months ago I created a
test case in my sandbox, so I tried it there and all RQ seems to do is
reset the period to period 1.  Interestingly, after doing so, it seems
that the enclave doesn't age through the periods any more, at least
not that SDSF shows.  But if I then do an R, it starts over again from
period 1 and ages down through the periods (all 3 in this case).

So either my expectations of what RQ should do are wrong or we've
stumbled across a bug someplace.