On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 13:34:28 +0000, Bill Fairchild <bi...@mainstar.com> wrote:

>A few days ago I composed and sent a post in which I believed that the bar
was the 2GB line because I had just seen a comment statement inside the
IARV64 macro that stated that as a fact.  Today I reviewed an IBM SHARE
presentation in which the word "bar" was attached to a very wide arrow
pointing at the middle of the 2GB area in between virtual addresses 2GB and
4GB.  So I must conclude that the technical term "bar" officially means
whatever IBM wants it to mean today, where the meaning of "today" changes
from day to day.  This situation is very much like that of another
controversial term which once meant the U.S. Steel Corporation (inter alia).

I'm not sure which presentation you looked at, Bill, but Elpida's
presentation (mentioned yesterday in this thread) clearly shows the bar as
being the 2G line (chart on page 48).

And to me, nothing else makes much sense today.

Yes, originally we had a 2GiB dead space between 2**31 and (2**32)-1, but we
no longer have that.

Instead, we revised it that so that a 32GiB area starting at 2**31 was
reserved for use by Java.

And then we further revised that so there's an additional 256GiB above that
reserved for system usage.

"Above the bar" is perhaps still a useful term, but the real question is
whether one is dealing with 31- or 64-bit addresses, and one might speak in
those terms instead. The exact location of the storage should have little or
no relevance to most programs and programmers, but I suppose one might argue
that for normal programs, the "bar" now has a thickness of 288 GiB rather
than the old thickness of 2GiB. (I would not make that argument, however; I
would say the bar has no thickness.)

--
Walt