Hi list,

I have a question on reading a non SMS-managed tape in a manual tape library
defined as SMS managed.

Our environment is we have a TS3400 manual tape library with 2 TS1120 drives in
it.  This library is SMS defined because normally all we do with it is push our
backups to it.  I have an external tape - maintenance from IBM - that I want to
read via our MTL, which are the only tape drives we have on the system.  Is
there some way of fooling/forcing the system to read this tape?

I think the problem is that it's a unlabeled tape.

I tried several different items with the following results:

//SYSUT1   DD DSN=ESOINST,LABEL=(2,NL),UNIT=TS1120,DISP=OLD,
//   VOL=SER=B04301,DCB=(LRECL=80,RECFM=FB,BLKSIZE=27920)       real tape
library in the UNIT parm, real vol-ser,

IEF343I RRPGENER S01COPY SYSUT1 - REQUEST FAILED - NOT ENOUGH NON-SYSTEM
MANAGED VOLUMES ELIGIBLE

//SYSUT1   DD DSN=ESOINST,LABEL=(2,NL),UNIT=TS1120,DISP=OLD,
//   VOL=SER=100001,DCB=(LRECL=80,RECFM=FB,BLKSIZE=27920)      real tape
library, fake to a vol-ser in my SMS vol-ser range

IEF343I RRPGENER S01COPY SYSUT1 - REQUEST FAILED - NOT ENOUGH NON-SYSTEM
MANAGED VOLUMES ELIGIBLE

//SYSUT1   DD DSN=ESOINST,LABEL=(2,NL),UNIT=500,DISP=OLD,
//   VOL=SER=B04301,DCB=(LRECL=80,RECFM=FB,BLKSIZE=27920)    try the actual
address of tape drive instead of the library

IEF120I RRPGENER S01COPY SYSUT1 ALLOCATION FAILED - A NON-LIBRARY REQUEST
SPECIFIED A LIBRARY DEVICE 0500

I tried shutting down OAM and it made no difference.

Any suggestions?

TIA.

Rex

The information contained in this e-mail may contain confidential and/or
privileged information and is intended for the sole use of the intended
recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited and that you will be held responsible for any such
unauthorized activity, including liability for any resulting damages. As
appropriate, such incident(s) may also be reported to law enforcement. If you
received this e-mail in error, please reply to sender and destroy or delete the
message and any attachments. Thank you.