Bottom like: you can't, directly. We always use a COBOL program to read
the data with packed fields, write out an equivalent with USAGE IS
DISPLAY to convert from packed to normal "print", then ftp that
converted file using ASCII conversion.

One problem is that the z's "packed decimal" simply doesn't have any
equivalent on a Widows (ASCII) based machine. You must, somehow, convert
it to what in COBOL is USAGE IS DISPLAY LEADING SIGN. COBOL can do this.
So could DFSORT (and I'd bet SyncSort as well). Or any other z language.
I've even done it by doing a BINary transfer with QUOTE SITE RDW and
reading it in Java on Linux. The Java code would convert the BINARY
fields to equivalent Java encoding. A real bother as it is not a general
facility - a unique program is needed for each file.

Now, JZOS, a part of IBM's Java for z/OS, comes with a facility called
RECGEN which can read the ADATA file from a COBOL or HLASM file and
write a skeleton Java class to read the data and convert it. It works,
but you end up "tinkering" with the Java source (as least I did).

Got to get ready for work now.

On Tue, 2011-07-12 at 04:05 -0500, Hilario G. wrote:
> Hello colleagues,
>
> I need to send files from a Z/OS 1.11 to other system with  Linux
> operating system. The files are GDG's  files and contain data in
> binary and  packed.
>
> I would like to know the way to transfer those files with the  necessary
> conversion from EBCDIC to ASCII.
>
> Kind Regards.
>
> Hilario Garcia

John McKown