In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 12/09/2005
   at 05:51 PM, Paul Schuster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>The Principles of Operation states:

>"An instruction can designate the same general
>register both for address computation and as the
>location of an operand. Address computation is
>completed before registers, if any, are changed by
>the operation."

Why don't you believe it?

>R9 is being used as the base to restore registers 14-->12 from. Will
>R9 be valid for the complete instruction, or will the new (restored)
>R9 be used to restore the remaining registers 10--> 12?

PoOps is correct.

>The above quote from the POO seems to imply that R9 will be valid,
>but this code has abended intermittently on the LM instruction with
>R9 being the bad address.

Then R9 was bad before the LM instruction.

>(Code prior to this which is based on R9 works ok, so the contents
>of R9 are good up to the point of the LM instruction.)

Are you a betting man?

>Thank you for any insight you can provide.

You don't say what the interrupt code or R9 value was. My guess is
that R9 was near the end of a page and that you are trying to access
beyond the end of a work area. Alternatively, it was failing on the
LH, not, as you stated, the LM.