From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Chase, John
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2011 10:39 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: running Assembler I/O macro code as AMODE 31, RMODE ANY

How would TCB switching occur at all?  Are these programs running in
CICS?  If so, you cannot use the DYNAM compiler option for COBOL.

    -jc-

Behalf Of Barkow, Eileen
> Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2011 9:30 AM
> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
> Subject: Re: running Assembler I/O macro code as AMODE 31, RMODE ANY
>
> The programmer has a question about possible TCB switching:
>
> Option 2 seems better. DATA(31) should allow most of the callers
storage to reside above the line, and
> switch to below the line processing only when calling the assembler
routine. Would excessive TCB
> switching result if the assembler program is invoked repeatedly for
file i/o, or does that not come
> into play?

Behalf Of Farley, Peter x23353
> Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:53 PM
> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
> Subject: Re: running Assembler I/O macro code as AMODE 31, RMODE ANY
>
> Option #1 is simpler, that is true.  I also forgot to say that the
COBOL compiler option DYNAM will
> also be required so that if the 24-bit assembler program is called
using CALL literal (like CALL
> 'MYASMIO'), then it will be loaded at run time instead of linked in
statically.  I assume from your
> original post that this must be your case, otherwise the programmers
would not be worrying about
> including the 24-bit program as part of the link step.
>
> However, Option #2 does have the advantage of allowing the
WORKING-STORAGE of the COBOL programs to
> grow much larger in 31-bit storage without worrying about using up all
available 24-bit storage.  If
> growth of internal tables or data in the COBOL programs over time is a
possible future maintenance
> headache for using DATA(24), it might be better (though more work) to
bite the bullet and take option
> #2 now instead of later.
>
> OTOH getting that 24-bit assembler I/O program correctly converted to
31-bit is the better long-term
> option over all, and DATA(24) plus DYNAM gives you time to do that as
a priority.  When that is done
> you can switch the COBOL compiles to DATA(31) and you're done.
>
> Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions if you need to.
>
> HTH
>
> Peter

you are hereby notified that any
> dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this communication in