R. Skorupka wrote:

>I believe this is main reason why JCL haven't been enhanced to have such
>facilities. BIG customers - those which IBM listen to - already have such
>facilities (in Job Scheduler) and have no reason to push IBM.

Partly true, but the actual reason has been stated many times here on IBM-MAIN:

Reason - where and when do you want variables substituted? On the system where
JCL is submitted or on the system where the JCL is to be executed? Before you
yell at me that date/time is universal on any machine, take in account the
local time of the machine where you want date/time substitution...

About when - at submission or at job start or what?

Who do you want the actual work to be done: JES2 at interpretation or when the
resource manager gets the DD statements?

Forget for now about the possibility that the date/time variables are
substituted in next day or week... :-)

Also forget for a moment about possible mixup of local times and/or Zulu time
(greenwich time) ;-D

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht