charl...@mcn.org (Charles Mills) writes:
> Somewhat OT but why? Why not C on the mainframe? Why two code bases, one
> fairly easy to debug and one relatively hard to debug?
>
> I am thrilled with writing software for the mainframe in C (C++ actually)
> after years of laboring in assembler.

the los gatos vlsi lab was using metaware for a lot of (mainframe) vlsi
tool development. two people from the group then di mainframe pascal
compiler ... which eventually evolved into vs/pascal product.

I was working on getting one of the people (responsible for mainframe
pascal) to do C language front-end ... when he left and went to work for
metaware. when the palo alto group was planning on doing BSD unix for
mainframe, I talked them into contracting with metaware for the C
compiler. However, before that mainframe BSD unix shipped, the group was
retargeted to PC/RT ... eventually coming out with "AOS" (bsd unix
running on pc/rt) ... but still using metaware's c compiler.

the disk division eventually sponsored the posix support on MVS ...  one
of the many things they were doing to try and get around the
stranglehold that the communication group had on the mainframe
datacenter (most of which the communication group vetoed ... since the
communication group had strategic ownership for everything that crossed
the datacenter walls; disk division being hdqtrd in silicon valley
possibly helped with their perspective)

misc past posts mentioning disk division talk at annual, internal,
world-wide communication group conference that started out with the
statement that the communication group was going to be responsible for
the demise of the disk division (the communication group stranglehold
was already resulting in data fleeing the mainframe datacenter to more
distributed computing friendly platforms).
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#terminal

a co-worker that helped with the original CMSBACK (eventually morphs
into today's TSM) ... misc. past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#backup

... left and did a lot of consulting for various silicon valley chip
shops. At one place, he did a lot of work and enhancements for the AT&T
C compiler (and some number of other vendor C compilers) for their
operations on mainframe (as part of porting BSD vlsi tools to the
mainframe). At one point he was doing a lot of work doing mainframe
ethernet support as part of supporting SGI graphics workstations for
displaying VLSI designs. The salesman dropped in and asked him what was
going on and after being told, the salesman suggested that he should be
doing token-ring support instead (or otherwise the customer might find
mainframe support and maintenance suffering).  Afterwards, I got a phone
call and had to listen to several hours of comments about the company,
local branch office and salesmen. The next morning, the vlsi company had
big press release that they were moving off mainframe to servers.