Hi Allan,

Thanks for your reply! I still have some questions. Please see below for
details.

<snip>
Our CPC (2094-S18-708) now has 8 Physical CP and has 1 production LPAR,
2 maintenance LPARs, 2 ICF LPARs and 2 test LPARs running at the moment.
Currently, all LPARs are equipped with shared CPs and have weight values
assigned. The details are as follows.

production LPAR 1
initial LCP          8
reserved LCP     10
weight             40
</snip>

<snip>
Are you saying that all LPARs have 8 active(shared)/10 reserved LP's
assigned?
</snip>

No. Not all LPARs have 8 active(shared)/10 reserved Logical CP's assigned. The
other LPARs have been designed with less LCP and lower weight.
What I'm concerning is under a running CPC environment, if we change test LPAR
image profile to assign dedicated CP to it, what impact will cause for the
other running LPARs like the production LPAR with 8 LCP assigned? Does it also
need to be deactivate/activate with new number of LCP (current the number of
available LCP in shared CP pool)?

My thoughts are as follows.
Because if we dedicate a PCP to a LPAR, that is to say, this PCP is permanently
assigned to a logical CP of just one LPAR. The shared CP pool will get rid of
any dedicated CPs. That means the other LPARs cannot use any dedicated CPs.
Meanwhile, the number of logical CPs in an LPAR must be less than or equal to
the number of physical CPs.

PR/SM Planning Guide also says:
The maximum initially online logical CPs defined for a shared partition equals
physical CPs online for the current model minus physical CPs currently
dedicated and online to other partitions using dedicated CPs.

So I think it's impossible to assign dedicate CP to LPARs without causing any
impact on other LPARs (supposing being assigned LCP with the same number of
current available PCP) in a CPC.

But there is a method which may be applicable dynamic change. Since each LPAR
has been assigned enough number of reserved LCPs, if we can enable some
reserved PCP by micro-code, and the whole number of PCP within that CPC
increased. Then we may be able to dedicate PCP to specific LPARs meanwhile, the
other LPARs have enough PCP resource.
But it's obvious unrealistic due to extra enormous cost. :-(

<snip>
No. IBM does not prevent you from defining more LP's than CP's. However
the overhead becomes excessive when the LP/CP ratio exceeds (2 to 3) to
1.
</snip>

Do you mean the Logical Processor/Central Processor ratio should NOT exceed (2
to 3) to 1 in a single LPAR or all LPARs in a CPC?

E.g.
We defined 2 LCSS in a CPC (2094-S18-708) which has 32 LPARs in total. At
present, there are 12 LPARs in Active status. All CPs are in shared pool. The
maximum LCP defined is 8 and the lowest LCP defined is 1. But the total LCP of
active LPARs is 36.

I'm confused about what you mean LP/CP ratio should NOT exceed (2 to 3) to 1?
Total number of Logical CP or number of Logical CP in a LPAR? Please show me
more details. Thanks!