John,
I believe that you can have more than 255 dd statement by using XTIOT, the
reverse order was IMO because of CVOL design issues. The order is reasonably
important ( to me anyway) is that I have. Had to do a sort the file,
programmers were not happy ( but understood) about the additional step.

One time I was working on a logrec report for the CE and I ran into an issue
and had to sort the concatenation it wasn't huge but it took a day of debugging
and a call to IBM and they talked about a Doc error. I never followed through
as I had a work around.

Ed

Ps I am not sure that IBM could change the way it works now without adding a
JCL parameter.

Sent from my iPad