Gerhard Postpischil wrote:

Chris Mason wrote:

Yes, indeed, the 2250 was a large and expensive device which - as I vaguely
recall - was designed for use in research establishments which - to be
provocative - probably lived off federal grants, establishments where
describing their computer with the prefix "super" would not be
inappropriate.

I was waiting for S. Metz to respond - he has a better recollection of these things. I never used a 2250 as a console, and I do not remember any SYSGEN option to support them. However, the IBM 360/165 (and later the 168) appeared to have some of the 2250 hardware (with different keyboard and function keys) as an integrated console. Perhaps that's what you saw?

The first ever 2250 I saw was in Building 1 at Goddard Space Flight center, where I had to pass by it regularly to get to the "moonshine" DCS system. I never saw it powered on or in use..... And the only specific software I saw for it was a Pool game <G>.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT

In my experience, 2250s were used only for CAD/CAM applications and had a rather large function key-pad attached (by cable). I never saw or heard mention 3270 or operator console equivalent uses. I last saw them
at Lockheed, Burbank in the early 1980s.

Walter