Frank,

It is not necessarily paranoia.  Some businesses prefer a tighter control
over content than others.  Many years ago I worked for a bank.  We had a
wonder USS10  Sign on screen (hand written 3270 Program).  Then one day on
60-Minutes there was a segment on a business that got hacked.  They were
able to know who they had accessed because of the sign on Screen.  The next
day we had to yank it.  This was before internet, during the days of dial
up.

So if you company is concerned I would allow that it is important and to
assist them with their request.

I use a different ID for all of my newsgroups that does not track back to my
company.  Then hopefully I scrub my postings so a not to present a negative
image to my corporation.  If someone wants to contact me offlist, they can
always email me direct.

Just my thoughts.

Lizette.