On Mon, 8 Aug 2011 20:43:03 +0000, Ted MacNEIL wrote:

>>Does this then allow the programmer more space than initially
>>requested/intended, or does it deduct 1 from the number of
>extents allowed when it does this?  123...122...121...
>
>Why would it deduct anything?
>It's a single extent after consolidation.

I was thinking of the case where a programmer used SPACE() cautiously
to limit the space occupied by a data set -- he might prefer to endure  a
Sx37 rather than have a single data set written by a runaway program
devour an entire volume and  likely cause other programs to fail.

>Also, the extent limits have been raised, as of 1.7.

I hope I telegraphed my awareness of this by "123..." supra.  Or is there
yet more than I'm aware of.  Regardless, the increase from 15 to 123 much
thwarted the design of my hypothetical cautious programmer.

Is the behavior of z/SO becoming more UNIXy?  Time was when a
programmer coded SPACE() he knew he was allowed that much and
no more.  Nowadays it's less determinate.

-- gil