Strong agreement! We don't even have "operators" any more. The "help
desk" people can barely reset RACF ids even given the Web interface that
I wrote (OK, that may be my bad - I'm not a web designer.) The
production control people actually have VTAM SMCS consoles up on their
desktop to monitor z/OS because they are our first line of defense any
more.

We use CA-OPS/MVS to capture messages and send SNMP traps to something
called Orion which can interface to CA-UniCenter to create tickets. We
also use OPS to send TSO messages to our production control people who
are logged on. But we run totally "dark" starting Saturday night until
Monday morning. The on call production support person does do a logon
from home on occasion just to see what is going on.

On Sun, 2011-08-14 at 17:22 -0700, Ed Gould wrote:
> The WTO would have to be used in unison with automated ops, IMO.
>
> One place I worked they had a message appear on the console and it was a
> really critical message. Even though they were non delete able. The
> instructions were extremely clear that if these messages were to appear that
> bells and alarms were so supposed to go off. The operators ignored them.
> Automated ops should have been used.
>
> Ed

John McKown
Maranatha! <><