Thanks.  I knew they were there somewhere, I am embarrassed to admit I saw
those earlier but lost track of where they were found.

Thomas Ambros
Operating Systems and Connectivity Engineering
518-436-6433

Walt Farrell <wfarr...@us.ibm.com>
Sent by: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
08/16/2011 10:07
Please respond to
IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
cc

Subject
Re: Naive BCPii questions

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011 08:50:38 -0400, Tom Ambros <thomas_amb...@keybank.com>
wrote:

>- I have the zSeries API documentation and the BCPii specific zOS docs
but
>I am not able to find items related to returned values, for example
>HWIQUERY of HWI_OPERSTAT.  I can probe and knowing the state of what I'm
>seeing can infer what I am getting but I'd like to find wherever these
>flags are defined to make sure I'm writing my app correctly.  For
example,
>querying a deactivated lpar I get x'0008', an activated lpar that's
varied
>from the sysplex I see x'0002' and a running CF gives me x'0001'.  That's
>great but I am concerned about what I don't know here.  Where can I find
>this stuff?

Chapter 4 of the System z API book (SB10-7030-13) seems to have a lot of
information, including some C #define statements giving values for various
integer and bit flag values.

I'm not quite sure how to map the names (such as HWI_OPERSTAT) used with
BCPii into the object names shown in that book, but in the book you'll
find these value definitions (for example) that seem meaningful for the
results you saw:
<quote>
/******************************************************************************/
/* Defines for the Hardware Management Console Status Values. */
/******************************************************************************/
#define HWMCA_STATUS_OPERATING 0x00000001
#define HWMCA_STATUS_NOT_OPERATING 0x00000002
#define HWMCA_STATUS_NO_POWER 0x00000004
#define HWMCA_STATUS_NOT_ACTIVATED 0x00000008
#define HWMCA_STATUS_EXCEPTIONS 0x00000010
#define HWMCA_STATUS_STATUS_CHECK 0x00000020
#define HWMCA_STATUS_SERVICE 0x00000040
#define HWMCA_STATUS_LINKNOTACTIVE 0x00000080
#define HWMCA_STATUS_POWERSAVE 0x00000100
#define HWMCA_STATUS_SERIOUSALERT 0x00000200
#define HWMCA_STATUS_ALERT 0x00000400
#define HWMCA_STATUS_ENVALERT 0x00000800
#define HWMCA_STATUS_SERVICE_REQ 0x00001000
#define HWMCA_STATUS_DEGRADED 0x00002000
#define HWMCA_STATUS_STORAGE_EXCEEDED 0x01000000
#define HWMCA_STATUS_LOGOFF_TIMEOUT 0x02000000
#define HWMCA_STATUS_FORCED_SLEEP 0x04000000
#define HWMCA_STATUS_IMAGE_NOT_OPERATING 0x08000000
#define HWMCA_STATUS_IMAGE_NOT_ACTIVATED 0x10000000
#define HWMCA_STATUS_IMAGE_NOT_CAPABLE 0x20000000
#define HWMCA_STATUS_UNKNOWN 0x40000000
</quote>

Note that I'm not claiming any BCPii expertise :)

--
Walt Farrell
IBM STSM, z/OS Security Design

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It
is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing
or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error,
please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety,
whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic
personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the
Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose
such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which
you are receiving the information. 127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from
Key
send an e-mail to mailto:dnereque...@key.com with 'No Promotional E-mails' in
the
SUBJECT line.