On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:42:41 -0700, Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>In a recent note, McKown, John said:
>> Date:         Thu, 15 Dec 2005 16:17:56 -0600

Gil,

Why stop there?  With BPAM write/update support for Posix files we could
substitute NFS for HFS or zFS, right?  So the SMP/E disk support could be
off-platform (on SAN or NAS?) if the customer so desired.  (Where they
might not be backed up reliably...  but that's a different topic.)

I don't think that the PDS directory simulation is the only issue that IBM
would have to deal with though.  Wouldn't there need to be a conversion
process or does this magically drop in at a new release of z/OS, CICS,
IMS, DB2, etc.?  (How many sysprogs or their managers will want to make
that leap of faith???)

I'm not convinced that UNIX file system(s) are superior to z/OS' native
file systems, but I'm all for variety and letting the customer &
marketplace decide.  I'd be less convinced if DFSMS allowed for
substantially more than 59 volumes... I used to think that the 255 volume
limit was too small and then IBM lowered it by 77%!

--
Tom Schmidt
Madison, WI