John, Thanks for asking...

How to improve the Assembler manuals? Well, one thing that comes leaping to mind: WRT the Reference, I would really love it if you would put individual build-in functions in the TOC. You do this for Assembler statements and even system variables... Why not for built-in functions as well. (This is something that has irked me for DECADES!)

But more than that...

Over all I think the Assembler Reference is very poorly organized. It is hard to find things within. It is hard to understand the implications of described functionality. The descriptions are laconic (to say the least), and the examples are classically awful. They cover only the fewest and the simplest, most obvious cases; they fail to illustrate useful ranges of capabilities.

I love Assembler. I've been programming in it for nearly 50 years. I cannot say the same for the Reference. In the entire time I've been programming Assembler, the organization and structure of the Reference has not changed one iota! Yes, new functionality has been added, but I don't think that more than a handful of words of the original text has been changed since the 1960s!

IMO, the Reference basically needs to be thrown out and rewritten from scratch with totally fresh eyes. And it needs to be usability tested along the way by an audience of people who do not already know the language inside and out (or by those who can at least think that way).

I hear all the time that "Assembler is hard". It is not hard. C is hard; Assembler is easy. It's just the manual that is hard.

I also hear grumbles that IBM manuals in general are hard. I do not agree. Many of them have improved quite a lot in recent decades. But not the Assembler Reference. It remains mired in its initial design, and for whatever reason, it has escaped a competent rewrite.

Dave Cole              REPLY TO: dbc...@colesoft.com
ColeSoft Marketing     WEB PAGE: http://www.colesoft.com
736 Fox Hollow Road    VOICE:    540-456-8536
Afton, VA 22920        FAX:      540-456-6658