In case you want to be more granular:
SUPERUSER.FILESYS.CHOWN -- lets you CHOWN the owner of any file, not just ones
you own.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
McKown, John
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2011 10:43 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Pax/Unpax Question

You can only preserve the attributes such as owner and group if the id doing
the unwind operation has super user privileges. I know that UID==0 can do it.

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/BPXZA590/SHCMDDES.PAX.6
<quote>
On the z/OS system, superuser privileges or read access to the appropriate
FACILITY class resources are required to create character special files,
restore user and group names, and to set certain extended attributes (read
access to the corresponding FACILITY class resources).
</quote>

It doesn't say which. I would guess BPX.SUPERUSER. If nothing else, with
BPX.SUPERUSER, the person can do a:

su -

to which to UID==0 followed by the pax -rf -pe, then back to normal via "exit".

su -
pe -pe -rvf ...
exit

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone *

lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the archives at
http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html
This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If
you think you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the
sender by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail immediately.
Thank you. Aetna