From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Peter Relson
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2011 9:32 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: CA-1 TMSXITJ

>          L     R3,ASXBFTCB
>
> Unfortunately, under z/OS it produces the address of a random TCB.  We
> tried changing the code to obtain the TCB address directly from PSATOLD
> but that doesn't seem to be working either.

This does not produce, and never has produced, "the address of a random
TCB". It produces the address of the TCB for the RCT (region control
task). User code will typically not run with PSATOLD equal to that task.

Regarding making the assumption that "you" can use TCBUSER: not a good
assumption. TCBUSER has always been intended for use by the owner of the
TCB. But since that has never been made clear, we added STCBUSER in z/OS
1.7 with commentary that attempts to be clear about that.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design