Not too much to go on but your //COBOL.SYSLIB DD statement is wrong. That
statement is used to pull in record description on a COPY statement in the
COBOL SOURCE before the program is compiled.. You have it listed like it is
for output (SYSOUT=*).  Look in you program for COPY statements. The PDS
that has the member being copied into your program is what should be
pointed to by a card like this:

//COBOL.SYSLIB DD DSN=yourcopystatement pds,DISP=SHR

Run without the //COBOL.SYSLIB first and see if the S002 goes away. It
should go away but you may then get compile errors because COPY statements
weren't found. That that can be corrected by the above.

Thank You,

Paul Strauss

Integrated Technology Delivery, Global Services, IBM
L0DB z/OS MVS/Program Products/Security
150 Kettletown Rd.
Southbury, CT 06488
(203) 272-2758
strau...@us.ibm.com

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>

  |jagadishan perumal <jagadish...@gmail.com>

|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>

  |IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu

|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>

  |09/06/2011 12:14 AM

|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>

  |SMF record error.

|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>

  |IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>

 Hi,

I was trying to write the SMF record to a flat FB PS file for the
calculation of CPU and Memory usage.

I was getting an abend of : CEE3250C The system or user abend S002
R=00000004 was issued.

I did a look at found the below explanation :

S002 - 04 - AN INVALID RECORD WAS ENCOUNTERED ON A GET OPERATION.
            THE LENGTH FIELD OF A RECORD DESCRIPTOR WORD (RDW) FOR A
VARIABLE
            LENGTH RECORD SPECIFIES A VALUE LESS THAN 4.

My JCL is :

000001 //SMFCOMP$ JOB MSGCLASS=X,MSGLEVEL=(1,1),CLASS=T,
000002 //         REGION=0M,NOTIFY=&SYSUID
000003 //********************************************************//
000004 //* IGYWCL
000005 //* THIS PROGRAM COMPILES AND LINK - EDIT THE COBOL PROGRAM
000006 //********************************************************//
000007 //STEP1   EXEC IGYWCLG,TIME=NOLIMIT
000008 //SYSPRINT  DD SYSOUT=*
000009 //COBOL.SYSIN DD DSN=A133389.COBOL(SMFDBREP),DISP=SHR
000010 //COBOL.SYSLIB DD SYSOUT=*
000011 //GO.INFILE DD DSN=SYS1.JULY.SMFREC2.OLD,DISP=SHR
000012 //GO.OUTFILE DD DSN=SYS1.SMF.UNFMT.OUTPUT.NEW,DISP=SHR

==============

Infile attribute :

ata Set Name . . . . : SYS1.JULY.SMFREC2.OLD

eneral Data                           Current Allocation
Management class . . : **None**        Allocated cylinders : 3,200
Storage class  . . . : **None**        Allocated extents . : 1
 Volume serial . . . : MTSMF2
 Device type . . . . : 3390
Data class . . . . . : **None**
 Organization  . . . : PS             Current Utilization
 Record format . . . : VBS             Used cylinders  . . : 2,985
 Record length . . . : 32760           Used extents  . . . : 1
 Block size  . . . . : 32760
 1st extent cylinders: 3200
 Secondary cylinders : 200            Dates
 Data set name type  :                 Creation date . . . : 2011/08/16
 SMS Compressible. . : NO              Referenced date . . : 2011/09/06
                                       Expiration date . . :
***None***

Outfile attribute :

 Data Set Name . . . . : SYS1.SMF.UNFMT.OUTPUT.NEW

General Data                           Current Allocation
 Management class . . : **None**        Allocated cylinders : 50
 Storage class  . . . : **None**        Allocated extents . : 1
  Volume serial . . . : CT3WK1
  Device type . . . . : 3390
 Data class . . . . . : **None**
  Organization  . . . : PS             Current Utilization
  Record format . . . : FB              Used cylinders  . . : 2
  Record length . . . : 108             Used extents  . . . : 1
  Block size  . . . . : 10800
  1st extent cylinders: 50
  Secondary cylinders : 100            Dates
  Data set name type  :                 Creation date . . . : 2011/09/06
  SMS Compressible. . : NO              Referenced date . . : 2011/09/06
                                        Expiration date . . : ***None***

I have even tweaked the outfile with  different DCB parameters But i still
get the same abend.

COBOL.SYSIN : I can even share my Source code if it needs any further
modifications.

I have attached my COBOL codes too.

Could anyone please guide or direct me if the above parameters needs any
modifications.

Regards,
Jags