Besides Rob's suggestion of another task, consider coding the estae routine such that you always retry. Never percolate the abend unless the SDWA is set with the no retry bit. Then, in your mainline code at the retry point, you take care of whatever you need to vis-a-vis the files. After doing that, terminate if that is what should be done.

   --Dave Day
----- Original Message ----- From: "Donald Likens" <dlik...@infosecinc.com>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 10:45 AM
Subject: subtask recovery

In the "IP Sockets Application Programming Interface Guide and Reference" IBM discusses data services task (DST). This uses sub-tasks to do I/O. When I designed my program using DSTs I had a problem I could not resolve. I have been informed by IBM that sub-tasks are suspended during an abend and cannot be used. This means there is no way to close the files opened by the sub-tasks in my estae routine. Has anyone come with a solution to this problem?