Tony Harminc wrote, re the number of mainframes in the world:
>I have no idea, but I still have my "VM Soars with 20,000 licenses"
>poster from IBM. That was from the 1990s, IIRC.

Yeah, alas, that "20,000" apparently included every VM license ever sold at
that point, including ones never installed, or certainly not running any more.
So it included 9370s and P/390s and the like, and even IBM didn't think it was
very real at the time.

I consistently hear numbers in the 5K-10K range, but everyone's guessing (and
most of 'em admit it).
--
.phsiii

Phil Smith III