Do you have both jobs?
How did the elapsed time compare?
How about the number of blocks?

(I would expect slightly more than 1/4 as many blocks on the first 19
large block tapes vs small block tapes, and a lot less blocks on the
20th large block tape since more data should have been stored on the
large block tapes.)

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 10:30 PM, Mingee, David
<david.min...@libertymutual.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>           Anyone had success with performance gains in run time and fewer
> tapes being created when using z/OS Large Block Interface(LBI)?  We are on
> R1.11 and have created tapes with blksize of 256k(262144) and the block count
> is reduced by a factor of 8, but we do not see any improvements in elapsed
> time or fewer tapes being created(20 output tapes at 32k and 20 output tapes
> at 256k).  Am I missing something?  IBM documentation states:
>
> Taking advantage of LBI: You can improve the performance of tape data sets by
> using the large block interface (LBI) for large block sizes. When the LBI is
> available, the COBOL run time automatically uses this facility for those tape
> files for which you use system-determined block size. LBI is also used for
> those files for which you explicitly define a block size in JCL or a BLOCK
> CONTAINS clause. Use of the LBI allows block sizes to exceed 32760 if the
> tape device supports it.

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA