Hi John.
Ok for dcb consideration, I apologize to you. I semplified all
to "variable" because outside, most of times, datalenght of ASCII file is
not fixed. We fix data for "our" programs, depending on needs and
language(and this is also true under other os).

Data is sent to the external server in ASCII [locsite
SBD=(IBM-1047,IBM-850)] and the tgz(made using OpenSSH) returns and then
shared in BINARY.
All our data files are ASCII. File tgz is stored in a gdg and transferred to
other machines unix and win with different tools(ftp/thema) (and the first
machine, where I make tgz, that share data unzipped too).

I dont' know if there is a better solution at the same cost.

I propably took the wrong way analizing problem starting from conversion
from dsname to filename, sorry.

I remembered(after) an old installation with ZIP390 that makes(perhaps
exactly) what I said but it's not free so I can't ask for it.
There is another eligible tool "Info-Zip" that's free and seems to work on
OS/390(not sure on z/OS, we have 1.10) but in each case is unavailable for
dowload.

Regards.