> We are sorting a very large file and it's taking about fourteen hours. I
remember that
> there used to be a technique whereby the sort wrote out a list of record
addresses and
> an application program could read the list to access the records in the
desired
> sequence.
>
> Does anyone know if there is still a way of doing this ?
>
> Thanks

Could you provide the z/OS level you are running?
Sort product? Syncosrt release, CA SORT  release, or DFSORT

And whether or not you are doing your own sort processing rather than using
DFSORT, SYNCSORT, or CA Sort?

Each product might have a slight (very slight) different way of doing this.

Or did you write your own sorting process?  Not using a vendor product.

Lizette