Ulrich,

We had similar issues 40 years ago. We had to sort 14 million records (magazine
subscriber base) the decision was made to break it up to 5 jobs it cost a lot
in sort work areas and then a final merge. One other huge sort did a little
larger sort and it used checkpoint restart. We did a lot of restarts (groan).
My memory is weak here but the elapsed time was around 14 hours for each job.

We did not need to gain access to the sorted output files the way this person
does though.

Ed