"Barbara Nitz" <nitz-...@gmx.net> wrote in message
news:<8637203851702442.wa.nitzibmgmx....@bama.ua.edu>...
> Kees,
>
> >Thanks, we will be adding systems to our sysplexes soon, which fit
> >within our maxsystems, but now I have to recheck if they really fit
next
> >to the current systens and ancient rubbish.
>
> maybe you can test for me if one can find out via simple display
commands what rubbish is kept in the sysplex CDS (I obviously cannot,
since I've cleaned up all sysplex CDSs with residual information):

> D XCF,S,ALL supposedly lists all systems in the sysplex. It would be
interesting to see if those are really all of them or only those that
are active. The book isn't really clear on that distinction.

> D XCF,GRP will give a list of all defined groups. That means also
groups that are no longer valid in the plex (and will never become
active again) will still be listed (XCF group member state changes when
permanent status recording is on are complicated enough in theory and in
the books, but that design change might have also changed this further,
without documentation update). From here on out you have to specify each
group name individually to see all member(s). So that is not exactly
easy to determine how much rubbish might have accumulated.

> For comparison, take a dump of XCFAS and all its dataspace and then
issue the ipcs couple sysplex detail and couple group detail commands to
see what *that* might tell you (and where it differs from the displayed
information).

> The way I determined that there were residual systems in the sysplex
CDS (which was inactive at the time, so no display commands possible)
was to simply *review* browse (from the cbttape) the sysplex CDS. The
system names in there fairly leap at you. Looking at group information
is harder, as that requires switching left and right.

> Thanks in advance, Barbara

Barbara,

I already did some research .
I used IDCAMS PRINT to check the contents of the CDSs and found only
valid systemids.
Checking back what we did when, I concluded that we could not have
polution in the CDSs. We converted our 'testsysplex' to a fully isolated
sysplex, but this meant only full dasd isolation. The new testsysplex is
polution free, so is the prodsysplex and the old testsysplex has been
removed. Furthermore all this happened under z/OS 1.8, so I can't help
you.
The only thing I can do for you is check D XCF,S,ALL when one of the
systems has been brought down, but I suppose you have a testplex
yourself?

Kees.
e-mail, and delete this message.

33014286