To oversimplify only slightly, MQ is a transport and Web services is (are)
a protocol. It's quite OK, even common, to run Web services over a JMS/MQ
transport.

If you say you want to use Web services instead of MQ, it's a bit like
saying you want to use voicemail instead of a cellular telephone network.
"Instead" isn't exactly the right word to connect those two concepts. You
could say something like "We want to use Web services with a transport
other than JMS or MQ" or "We want to use Web services with an HTTPS
transport."

That might be fine or might not. If the vendor application supports that,
if it works, if it meets the non-functional requirements (reliability,
performance, maintainability, recoverability, etc.), and if the business
case is the strongest, then that's the approach I'd pick. If not, then not.

Does the vendor support Web services for integrating their application?
With what transport(s)? So far we only know about three available choices:
MQ, JMS, and Microsoft Message Queuing.

Are CICS-based application(s) the other party(ies) to the interaction(s)
with this vendor application? Or some other type of application on the
mainframe?

Timothy Sipples
Resident Enterprise Architect (Based in Singapore)
E-Mail: timothy.sipp...@us.ibm.com