Back at the start of the 1970s we had some pretty bad experiences with tapes
sent through the
mail getting erased because they were put on the floor of guard's vans on
electric trains.
The motors in the bogies underneath did the rest.  Some were so completely
erased that they
just spun through and dropped off the end.

We started transmitting Barclaycard input data between two data centres - one
in Northampton
and one near Manchester - in 1973.  The input came off a 2415 unit attached to
a 360/25 and
the output was stored on a 3330 attached to a /165.

The annual rental for the leased line was about the same as an operator's
salary. The modem
was 2400 baud and about as big as a tower PC.  It had a dial and meter on the
front, and the
line had to be "balanced" every day before the transfer was started.  The
transfer took over
an hour and was usually successful.  Like all bank files, there were internal
hash check
trailers so we knew no data had gone missing.

One day it coughed.  We reran it, then brought all the files together to find
out what had
happened.  The only explanation was that one of our 2415s had dropped a bit
while recording
the input tape.  One of the very few occasions in a long mainframe career when
I can honestly
say the equipment failed without alerting us to the fact.

--
  Phil Payne
  http://www.isham-research.co.uk