David O'Brien posts:
>The following has been posed by one of our mainframe users.
>QUESTION:   What options (if any) are available for migrating
>these old study files and contents of accounts to storage media
>such as DVDs and external hard drives that could be securely
>held (off-line) by the agencies?
>Looking at the user id provided I find that most of these files
>are VSAM.
>Is there any way to use VSAM in a non-mainframe environment?
>Is there a way to write directly to a dvd from a mainframe?

There have been a lot of replies already, but I think there's also a lot of
guessing going on. Let's not guess too much. The most reasonable question
to ask at this point is "What business problem(s) are you trying to solve?"
Without that context, it's difficult to answer these questions.

To answer the questions to the degree possible for now:

1. There are myriad options for copying data. Mainframe-accessible data are
also ones and zeros. Several copy methods have been mentioned, and I could
probably come up with a dozen more. (IND$FILE? Kermit? :-)) What would you
prefer?

2. Maybe there is a way to use VSAM (data) in a non-mainframe environment.
The data are ones and zeros, regardless of platform. Interpreting the data
is another question. What programs interpret and process the data today?
How were those programs created, and how are they maintained?

Is NIH's requirement to preserve the ability to run those programs upon
demand for some period of time and to preserve the associated data for the
same period of time? And to do that in a way that reliably reproduces
original study results (and potential new results based on older data),
with the integrity associated with careful medical research? For how long?

Or are there some other (or additional) requirements?

Is that an ongoing requirement for current and future studies, to have a
computing infrastructure that supports long-term retention of data *and the
ability to interpret those data*? That's exactly what mainframes are
designed to do. There are programs written in the mid-1960s (and perhaps
even earlier) that are still running today, still processing and
interpreting their data. Medical research goes back at least that far,
including groundbreaking studies on smoking and cancer (for example). This
is something NIH really ought to be thinking about, carefully, and at
senior levels. The central design premise of mainframes is "avoid breaking
programs if at all possible." In contrast, our PCs (and Macs) break
programs practically every year that passes. Archivists are warning that
society is rushing headlong into creating a big "digital hole" in the
historical record, because we simply won't be able to process and interpret
older data (even if we have it) even a few years from now. Mainframes are a
very notable exception, precisely because many businesses have the same
requirements. Many insurance companies, for example, need to retain
policies and the processing rules associated with those policies for 100
years or more (the lifetime of a life insurance policyholder and his/her
heirs). Mainframes do that -- and support running brand new programs
written 5 minutes ago.

3. Yes, actually. (There's at least one vendor that sells hardware to do
that.) To what purpose? Many/most mainframes have tape available, often
HSM-managed, which works beautifully for archiving programs and data -- and
for managing the ability to carry those data forward for decades through
technology changes, if that's the retention policy. (And I could see why
that might be the retention policy for certain NIH programs and data.
Cancer studies need to be long-running, for example. Same with research
into chemicals that mimic hormones, which are very subtle and gradual but
extremely serious, to pick another example.)

If the business problem is "to save money," bear in mind that programs that
don't run consume zero CPU and data stored on tape consumes (a part of) a
tape. That's it. Mainframes are exceptionally talented at (centralized
cloud) archiving, because that's what businesses (and governments) need to
do quite often, and those are the systems they buy to do it. I'm hard
pressed to think of another option that could be less expensive in the real
world. If somebody is charging someone else within the same federal
government a price that bears no relation to that reality, then that's the
business problem to solve -- certainly for the sake of this taxpayer and
millions of others.

Timothy Sipples
Resident Enterprise Architect (Based in Singapore)
E-Mail: timothy.sipp...@us.ibm.com