John

Thanks for the - implied - suggestion. I have subscribed to the supposedly
regular update - I have received two so far! - from the redbook site for any
redwhatevers which involve - supposedly since this is a matter of intelligent
indexing - "z/OS". I'm hoping this will cover any which purport to touch upon
the two components of Communications Server in some way.

I have contributed corrections to redbooks in draft status in the past but only
by invitation and usually before open to (the) "hoi polloi".

I'm hoping that being reminded of drafts appearing will be more productive than
trying to maintain a regime of regular scanning of the web site.

> ... even radical revision.

I very much doubt a redbook "manager" would tolerate any sort of "radical
revision". I'm sure the "We've invested too much already!" principle that MBA
courses attack as illogical would prevail over any suggestion that the redbook
all needs fresh research and rewriting!

> As always, it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

If the redbook is likely to be revised - as the "IBM z/OS V1Rn Communications
Server TCP/IP Implementation" series is - it's worth contributing corrections.
Otherwise it's necessary to get "in" at the draft stage, as you encourage.

> As always, it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness.

However, my objective in posting here was not to prompt probably impossible
corrections to the original redbook but to warn all the good subscribers to the
list that - as I have now confirmed rather than merely suspecting from one
infelicity - that the sections which are intended to cover z/OS Communications
Server, inexcusably exclusively the IP component, while they press nearly all
of the right buttons, do so in a most ham-fisted way. I can't see these
sections really being of any use whatsoever unless heavily qualified by someone
who already happens to understand OSA-Express features, QDIO mode, dynamic XCF,
HiperSockets and *all* the various flavours of VIPA and for what functions
VIPAs can be used.

As I mentioned in the response to Steve, the authors contributed nothing to
their (legal) brief by mentioning whether or not the OSA feature would pass a
packet with an unrecognised destination address to the Communications Server IP
logic or just let it fall gently into the "bit bucket".

So in essence, one interpretation of my contribution would be to say I have lit
a candle in order to *illuminate* - rather than *curse* - the darkness!

Chris Mason